Sunday, December 11, 2011

P.T.S.D and me

My wife knew I had a fear of hospitals, doctors, and long hallways and I knew there would be a big hurdle that I would have to jump, and quickly to overcome this fear/phobia as I called it at the time. So, when I was eleven years old I was in a serious bicycle accident and broke my right femur in one place, but way at the end near my hip. I was transported in an ambulance to SF general, went into surgery to have a pin put in my leg and put into tractions. Bad news was my Mom, who was a single mom was not aware of the accident for many hours. I can remember feeling all alone, lost, worried, and scared. My mom arrived at the hospital and was somewhat comforting, but very mad a me. We were informed I would be in tractions for 3 months and then a cast over 35 percent of my body for another 2-3 months and then months of physical therapy. I spent many nights and days all by myself and seemed like I had very little visitors than I actually had, because I missed home so much. This trauma was warping my psyche and created this fear/phobia of hospitals that would last about 30 years. I was sitting in my sons room watching him sleep and this guy pops in and introduced himself as Jake. Jake is a social worker at the hospital and he was there to explain and show Bear with some props what this disease was, what to expect, and to quell his stress. Right at that moment I realized that I had suffered for many years with post traumatic stess disorder. I felt a gorilla literally jump off of me and I felt so much more courage and determination to work with the people at the hospital in any way I could. Jake has been a great asset during our journey and Mattie likes him alot. Especially when he gets hot wheels, or gets to go to a special event...

No comments:

Post a Comment